[CentOS-devel] Official docker images and updates

Colin Walters

walters at verbum.org
Mon May 12 20:38:42 UTC 2014

On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 1:50 PM, Karanbir Singh <kbsingh at centos.org>
wrote:

> I wonder if EL7 anaconda will get this functionality.. if not, we
> might need to wait on 8;

I can't guarantee anything, but I hope this will become available.

> having an ostree install post-anaconda run install sounds great
> though. I presume this is still going to do the actual ostree builds (
> in which case, how does one setup the remote repo ? )

The current rpm-ostree patchset for Anaconda pulls a tree instead of
laying down packages.  That's about the only difference.

The process of assembling packages into trees on a compose server I
call "treecompose".  I used to call it "building" but there's no actual
source code being compiled, merely a transformation of RPM content, so
I think "compose" is clearer.

In this model Anaconda is replicating, not composing.  Now you do raise
an interesting point in that some people might want tree composition at
install time, which would be very possible.  I can definitely imagine
some use cases for this.