[CentOS-devel] New repo layouts

Jim Perrin jperrin at centos.org
Wed Oct 15 23:33:21 UTC 2014

On 10/15/2014 02:47 PM, Thomas Oulevey wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 15/10/14 10:10, Jim Perrin wrote:
>> The virt sig folks (and a large thanks to Lokesh here) have been keeping
>> the docker packages quite fresh on cbs.centos.org. I'd like to begin
>> publishing these via a virt-sig repo, tentatively called
>> 'docker-current' or 'docker-latest'
>>
>> My question is: We have a few other packages such as cockpit, that tie
>> into docker, and are linked to atomic. What should be done with them?
>>

>> My initial thinking would be to structure this a bit like SL does
>> software collections. Docker would be a stand-alone repository that
>> could then also be a part of a larger repo for atomic or other project.
>>

>> Thoughts/opinions?
>>

> I will just comment about the technical side, as I have no strong
> opinion for the content of SIG repositories.
>
> I think each repo content should be associated to a tag, and we should
> look at a procedure to transform a mash generated repo (mash dump all
> packages associated to a tag e.g /repos on cbs) to a production
> repository (location, signing, etc...).

Agreed. I was thinking about the user/consumer side, rather than
production/creation.

> In my view decoupling repository creation/koji too much, will make it
> hard to maintain on the long run.
>
> We can have as many destination tags as we want and a package can be
> tagged multiple time, so the SIG can decide to depend on an external
> repository or to ship the packages in their own repo.
>
> What do you think?

That works for me. Long-term we may need to look at package
ownership/tracking for this. I'm not sure if we need something quite to
the extent of fedora's pkgdb, or if it would allow groups(SIGs) to own
the packages rather than individuals.

--
Jim Perrin