[CentOS-devel] CentOS artwork repository redesign proposal

Alain Reguera Delgado alain.reguera at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 18:55:04 UTC 2014

On 10/22/14, Jim Perrin <jperrin at centos.org> wrote:
> There are two separate things we're discussing here. One is the workflow
> to create distro artwork for major releases. What you've described isn't
> currently how things are done, but there might be some potential in it.

Yes. I haven't found such a procedure published anywhere so I am
inventing my own one and sharing it with you in the hope of being
useful. The fact that you see potential in it is motivating.

> The second is for users contributing background designs, sticker
> artwork, etc. This doesn't seem to fit into your described model at all.

I really would like to know what reasons made you think this (i.e.,
that I am not driving my proposition in a base of users
contributions)? I do want to correct any issue in this area. Have you
any suggestion?

> This sounds like a 'best case' plan that doesn't really reflect how
> people are contributing. Going back through several months of artwork
> contribution, it seems you're the only one even close to doing it this way.

It is true, sadly. So, is there any workflow available that I am not
aware of? For example, where are the sources related to CentOS-6 and
CentOS-7 artworks? Who designed and currently maintain them? Where is
described the artwork build process? Is the CentOS Artwork SIG really
having something to do with it?

>> Also, graphic designers can contribute describing visual
>> manifestations inside idforge-models-centos package. The work of
>> graphic designers if very very important and we need a community
>> effort from them in order to succeed in our goal of providing a brand
>> new visual style for the CentOS Project corporate visual identity,
>> acceptably in time.
>
> Agreed, which is why I'd very much do not want to inflict needless
> workflow.

Could you please list concrete facts so I can implement concrete
solutions? I am wondering now what is the CentOS Project direction in
the artwork area? Is there any workflow public that I can use as
reference to base my propositions on? Where is it?

I would like to be useful for CentOS Project just as it is to me. I
cannot donate money or hardware but my free time only. Whatever
consistent proposition you (or other) might have to me, will be heard.

In the hope of being useful,
--al.