[CentOS-devel] Question about generating a spin of CentOS 7

Jim Perrin

jperrin at centos.org
Thu Oct 30 14:59:57 UTC 2014

On 10/28/2014 10:49 AM, Steven Falco wrote:
> I am interested in generating a spin of CentOS 7, but I'm
> having trouble identifying the correct tool to compose an
> ISO image.

For what reason? Is this something that would benefit others
(could/Should it be a sig?)

> I've done some searching, and tried a number of different
> tools, such as livemedia-creator, livecd-tools, pungi, and
> so on, but it is not obvious which is the preferred tool.

> What tool should I use to compose a spin of CentOS 7?

Depends on what you're doing.

> Also, I'm curious if the official images (such as
> CentOS-7.0-1406-x86_64-NetInstall.iso) are composed with
> the same tool, or if there is a different tool that I
> would use to compose that type of image.
>
> In other words, is everything essentially a live image today
> or are there different tools to compose a live image versus
> the official installation DVDs?

The live images are done with livecd-tools. The install images are done
the old way with mkisofs I believe. We're in the process of adding
imagefactory to the community builders, so if you wanted to do this as a
SIG, you'd be able to crank out images in a semi-automated fashion.

--
Jim Perrin