[CentOS-devel] [NFV SIG][CBS]Understanding a bit more the NFV SIG builds and repos

Joseph Gasparakis joseph.gasparakis at intel.com
Sun Aug 2 16:46:09 UTC 2015

On Sat, 1 Aug 2015, Brian Stinson wrote:

> On Aug 01 10:15, Joseph Gasparakis wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I finally put some time aside to move forward with building RPMs for DPDK
> > 2.0 for the CentOS NFV SIG.
> >
> > In particular, I used pretty much the same spec file from Red Hat (made
> > sure the RPM release matches what CBS expects for release) and I created
> > package dpdk-2.0.0-1.el7.centos with buildID 1476.
>
> Great!
>

> > I am guessing I really should have built dpdk-2.0.0-8.el7.centos as I have
> > kept all the changelog intact which goes up to number 8, and also keep it
> > in sync with the Red Hat version? Any comments on that?
>
> That's up to you, but it would be less confusing if the
> name-version-release matches what's in the changelogs.

Hmmm... Yeah... Let me sleep over this and see. Since you don't have any
strong feelings about it, I tend to think I will maintain my one changelog
and when I rebase based on a Red Hat spec file I will be just adding the
reference to this spec file. If anybody else has any other thoughts, I
will be more than happy to read them.

> > Then my next question is that I noticed that following my successful
> > build, kojira created task 16722 in order to create a new repo, which
> > makes sense. According to that, since my RPM has tag
> > nfv7-common-el7-build the dpdk rpm should apear on centos7-updates
> > external repo, right? Following to this (and if I am right so far)
> > shouldn't there be a specific repo for NFV SIG instead of centos7-updates
> > which is a standard external repo?
>
> There is a specific repo for each tag in koji. When you build in
> nvf7-common-el7-build, the packages automatically come out the other end
> in the koji tag: nfv7-common-candidate. You can find all the repos here:
> http://cbs.centos.org/repos/
>
> Generally the workflow once the packages are built:
> - Do general smoke tests on the packages from the -candidate repo
> - `koji tag-pkg` the build into nfv7-common-testing

So, in case of DPDK, do we need to create the smoke tests to run when in
the -candidate release? Or this repo is for the brave who want to try
"early" stuff and if the package survives a few days without getting bug
reports I should promote it to -testing?

Also, I suppose now anybody can access the -candidate repo and download
dpdk rpms, right? And the way would be to configure from their yum.conf
this new repo by adding a new repo section with:

baseurl=cbs.centos.org/repos/nfv-common-candidate/x86-64/

Anything else?

> - Do more testing from the nvf7-common-testing repo, once you're happy:
> - `koji tag-pkg` the build into nfv7-common-release for signing and
>   release

Same question as before: do we need more exhaustive tests for the -testing
repo?

> > I have some more questions, but I will pause here if someone could shed
> > some lights, that would be great.
>
> Keep them coming!

Don't we want a git repo to capture the spec files and the extra
patches/scripts?

I think with your explanation above I am a bit clearer. If you can also
answer the above questions I think I will be pretty much covered.

Here is the last one I have: Don't we want a git repo to capture the spec
files and the extra patches/scripts?

Thanks a lot Brian!