[CentOS-devel] [Introduction] Social Media Policies for CentOS

Marcin Dulak marcin.dulak at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 14:56:22 UTC 2015

On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 3:09 PM, Brian Proffitt <bkp at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 08/12/2015 10:37 AM, Carl Trieloff wrote:
> >

> > My main question is how do we make the project more influential by using
> > this channel.
> >
> > Carl
>
> My ideas on this are pretty straightforward: establish CentOS and its
> community as a "thought leader" in a given aspect of technology by using
> the social media channels to amplify that. Say the Board (or social
> media committee or whatever ends up happening) decides CentOS should be
> recognized as a leader in cloud-based servers*, because that's where the
> community's expertise lies.
>
> In that scenario, when stories/blogs appear in the ether about
> cloud-based servers, members of the community could point to it on the
> CentOS social media channels and perhaps make a comment. Over time, the
> CentOS community will become recognized for this expertise, and people
> will seek out CentOS community members for advice/help in this area and
> CentOS the software becomes more attractive for the same reasons.
>
> This should not be done as a firehose of aggregated content, and there
> should be original content on a CentOS blog/blog network to back this up.

another idea: i would like to see links to github/bitbucket repos with
CentOS based
runnable code tested automatically on one of the public CI systems instead
of blogs.
In my opinion blogs make horrible things to open software:
provide usually incorrect or quickly obsolete information.
One does not become an expert by commenting on something.
CentOS community experts could contribute to make such testable projects
better.

Best regards,

Marcin