[CentOS-devel] Why is systemd user instance support disabled in CentOS 7 / RHEL 7?

Julien Pivotto roidelapluie at inuits.eu
Mon Dec 21 12:39:28 UTC 2015

On 21 Dec 10:47, Tadej Janež wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm preparing a backup package for Fedora/EPEL 7 [1] that provides a web
> server with a systemd unit file for running with the systemd user
> instance (i.e. 'systemd --user').
>
> As reported in [2], systemd user instance support is disabled in CentOS
> 7 due to being disabled in the upstream RHEL package. It is the same
> with the latest systemd for CentOS 7 [3].
>
> Unfortunately, the original Red Hat Bugzilla report [4] is not public so
> I'm asking here if anyone has more information why this is disabled?

See the following slides:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-UWEwsUY5PJS2lnUVJRMGxPZzA/view?pref=2&pli=1

At the conference, upstream maintainer explained that they were not
confident that the --user option is stable enough to be integrated in
RHEL. I understood that they feel that the feature will change a lot in
the future and they did not want to deal with all of those changes in
RHEL.

--
 (o-    Julien Pivotto
 //\    Open-Source Consultant