[CentOS-devel] why are 6.5 kmods in 6.6 updates?

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Wed Feb 18 11:42:10 UTC 2015

On 02/18/2015 05:35 AM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 02/16/2015 02:17 PM, Farkas Levente wrote:
>> it's currently in the updates directory not in the os with this
>> reasoning all package in all previous updates directory should have to
>> go into 6.6's update directory!?
>> what's more these kernel modules already included in the latest kernel
>> packages! eg: rtsx_pci.ko
>
> Sure, but are they causing you any PROBLEMS there?  If not, then I see
> no need to move them now.  Stuff happens.

To put it another way .. those kmods are here:

http://public-yum.oracle.com/repo/OracleLinux/OL6/latest/x86_64/

and they are in the rolling Scientific Linux build.

They are causing no issues there or as far as I can see they are causing
no issue where they are in our tree.

They will not be moved over when we upgrade to the next version .. so,
are they causing you any issues?

I agree they likely could be removed and probably should not have been
included, but at this point I am inclined to leave them where they are.

<snip>