[CentOS-devel] GSoC application deadline Friday 20 Feb

Pierre-Yves Chibon pingou at pingoured.fr
Thu Feb 19 10:07:12 UTC 2015

On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 09:38:09AM +0000, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Hi
>
> On 19/02/15 01:27, norwoods wrote:
> > Merge Open Build Service (http://openbuildservice.org/) and Koji build
> > system
>
> thats a very interesting idea.
>
> At the base layers, a build is really just converting sources into
> binary. or collecting binary bits and making an ISO or a Live Media or a
> Cloud image or a Container etc; but the actual convertion side of things
> is all finite.
>
> So with that in mind, the big difference in OpenBuildService and Koji is
> that Koji perhaps has a more focused approach to letting teams
> contribute, in their own pace and space, towards ( one or more ) product
> / goals. Whereas Openbuildservice just churns sources to binaries in an
> environment for user facing ( and much smaller ) task sets.
>
> A merge then might be a case of openbuildservice using koji at the
> backend and retaining its web UI ?

IIRC there is also a big concern on build reproducibility on koji which I'm not
sure is approached in the same way by OBS.

While the idea is interesting, I have two remarks:
a) we should get Mike involved in this
b) does this fit in the scope of a GSoC? Sounds to me that this will require
more than 3 months of work, in which case we would probably want to reduce the
scope of the proposal to 1) something doable and 2) something useful (for which
we clearly need Mike's input)

My 2cts,
Pierre