[CentOS-devel] GSoC application deadline Friday 20 Feb

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Thu Feb 19 10:09:53 UTC 2015

On 19/02/15 10:07, Pierre-Yves Chibon wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 09:38:09AM +0000, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> On 19/02/15 01:27, norwoods wrote:
>>> Merge Open Build Service (http://openbuildservice.org/) and Koji build
>>> system
>>
>> thats a very interesting idea.
>>
>> At the base layers, a build is really just converting sources into
>> binary. or collecting binary bits and making an ISO or a Live Media or a
>> Cloud image or a Container etc; but the actual convertion side of things
>> is all finite.
>>
>> So with that in mind, the big difference in OpenBuildService and Koji is
>> that Koji perhaps has a more focused approach to letting teams
>> contribute, in their own pace and space, towards ( one or more ) product
>> / goals. Whereas Openbuildservice just churns sources to binaries in an
>> environment for user facing ( and much smaller ) task sets.
>>
>> A merge then might be a case of openbuildservice using koji at the
>> backend and retaining its web UI ?
>
> IIRC there is also a big concern on build reproducibility on koji which I'm not
> sure is approached in the same way by OBS.
>
> While the idea is interesting, I have two remarks:
> a) we should get Mike involved in this
> b) does this fit in the scope of a GSoC? Sounds to me that this will require
> more than 3 months of work, in which case we would probably want to reduce the
> scope of the proposal to 1) something doable and 2) something useful (for which
> we clearly need Mike's input)

I agree on both counts, what I was hoping to try and see was if we can
start a convo on what the real wins might be, then break that up into
smaller tasks ( ideally, deliverable on their own )

Also, its worth noting that coprs can help with some of the drive-by
packaging/building things as well.

--
Karanbir Singh