[CentOS-devel] enhancing /etc/*-release

Remi Collet Fedora at FamilleCollet.com
Mon Feb 23 11:29:37 UTC 2015

Le 23/02/2015 00:19, Karanbir Singh a écrit :
> hi,
>
> We have spent a lot of time working out how best to work the
> /etc/centos-release file in order to satisfy most use cases. We've had a
> lot of positive feedback on the three digit release numbering that went
> into the first CentOS-7 release. And in the coming months, as the
> rolling builds onramp we will start seeing movement around those. This
> will also help address some points learned from the community
> during the 7.0.1406 cycle.
>
> We have also decided to split the /etc/redhat-release link to
> /etc/centos-release and use that as a way to better indicate what
> codebase the running CentOS Linux instance was derived from.

I'm aware of some inventory software (OCSinventory, FusionInventory)
which rely on redhat-release to be a regular file (not a link) to detect
real "RHEL" [1], and check some other files (centos-release, ...) for
the clones.

Of course information from "lsb_release" is usually more accurate.

I have forward your mail to upstream dev of those projects.

Remi.

[1]
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ocsinventory-dev/ocsinventory-unix-agent/trunk/view/head:/lib/Ocsinventory/Agent/Backend/OS/Linux/Distro/NonLSB/Redhat.pm