[CentOS-devel] Xfce for CentOS group

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 05:30:16 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 5:45 PM, Anders F Björklund
<afb at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> Hi list!
>
> Since the Alternative Desktop SIG didn't happen, we thought we would
> make a more focused effort and improve the Xfce desktop environment
> experience on CentOS. That might end up being a dedicated CentOS SIG,
> or just a couple of improvements to the existing packages from EPEL.
>
> Once upon a time, or more precisely: back in the CentOS 5.0 days,
> Xfce 4.4 was available in Extras and it was a pretty simple install
> that just worked "out of the box". Now, there's the newer versions
> available via EPEL - but the experience is nowhere near painless...

I still bundle vtwm build tools over at
https://github.com/nkadel/vtwm-5.5.x-srpm for RHEL based systems. It's
much lighter even than XFCE, and stable as granite, and has a *much,
much smaller* dependency tree than most modern desktop environments.
Much of the pain these days is unweaving all the Gnome-ification from
the xinitrc and similar tools.