[CentOS-devel] Including rkt in virt7 - yay/nay?

Lokesh Mandvekar lsm5 at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jul 7 04:36:41 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jul 06, 2015 at 03:15:02PM -0500, Jim Perrin wrote:

> On 07/02/2015 04:17 PM, Lokesh Mandvekar wrote:
> > Wondering if people would be ok with including rkt in virt7 SIG repos.
> > some folks gave this a yay on IRC, but reaching out to the mailing list as
> > well for more votes.
> >
> > rkt is _not_ in fedora yet and including it would also imply including
> > systemd >= 220 in virt7 as it isn't present in base CentOS.
>
> My only concerns about this would be unintended breakage due to feature
> changes. There's quite a bit in systemd that gets disabled or otherwise
> turned off. I'm okay with including it, but there should be testing with
> it as well.

Sure thing. systemd and rkt probably should go into a new koji tag
virt7-rkt-{master,common}-* so they won't mess with the existing tags.

And we can get this tested before announcing anything :)

> > All the gory detail around rkt packaging for fedora can be found here:
> > https://github.com/coreos/rkt/issues/686 . The main
> > pending issue that fedora won't agree to right now is
> > RE: installing the stage1 rootfs tarball at rpm install time.
>

> Ugh, that's not overly nice. So long as this is being resolved/fixed
> upstream, I'm okay with it.

There was some talk of separating stage1 into its own project earlier. Can't
say if this will happen for sure though.

> > WIP rpm files are here: https://github.com/fedora-cloud/rkt-rpm/ . I've been
> > adding these to my copr repo here:
> > https://copr.fedoraproject.org/coprs/lsm5/rkt/ . markllama and lalatenduM
> > might have something to add to this.

Guess we (me + whoever's interested) should get started with scratch builds
for this like KB suggested earlier.

Thanks all for the feedback so far.
--
Lokesh