[CentOS-devel] Feedback on C7 Vagrant Box

Lalatendu Mohanty lmohanty at redhat.com
Fri Jul 10 05:06:15 UTC 2015

On 07/10/2015 10:27 AM, Michael Vermaes wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 5:36 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org
> <mailto:mail-lists at karan.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 09/07/15 12:23, Michael Vermaes wrote:
>     > Hello, in addition to the other comments, I just wanted to say
>     that it
>     > would be great to have an 'official' vmware_desktop Vagrant box
>     > available on Atlas as well.
>     >
>     > Let me know if there's anything I can do to help enable that. I
>     found
>     > this bugzilla issue which could maybe be used for tracking the
>     various
>     > requirements?
>     >
>     > https://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=6365
>     >
>     > Thanks,
>     >
>     > Michael
>
>     I believe the vbox image should work as-is with the vmware provider as
>     well ? is that something you might be able to try ?
>
>     - KB
>

>> Thanks for the suggestion. Here's the message I received when I tried
> to 'vagrant up' after '
> vagrant init centos/7
> ​'​
>
> Bringing machine 'default' up with 'vmware_workstation' provider...
> ==> default: Box 'centos/7' could not be found. Attempting to find and
> install...
>     default: Box Provider: vmware_desktop, vmware_fusion,
> vmware_workstation
>     default: Box Version: >= 0
> ==> default: Loading metadata for box 'centos/7'
>     default: URL: https://atlas.hashicorp.com/centos/7
> The box you're attempting to add doesn't support the provider
> you requested. Please find an alternate box or use an alternate
> provider. Double-check your requested provider to verify you didn't
> simply misspell it.
>
> If you're adding a box from HashiCorp's Atlas, make sure the box is
> released.
>
> Name: centos/7
> Address: https://atlas.hashicorp.com/centos/7
> Requested provider: ["vmware_desktop", "vmware_fusion",
> "vmware_workstation"]
>
> Based on your comment, it sounds like the underlying image should be
> compatible with VMware, it probably just needs to be uploaded again
> specifying that it is also valid for the vmware_desktop provider.

This error is expected if you are using atlas.hashicorp.com/centos/7
<https://atlas.hashicorp.com/centos/7> as we don't have vmware provider
released there.

Can you please try the below [1] image. You have have to manually
download the image then add it to Vagrant. Lets me know if you need any
help on that.

[1]
http://cloud.centos.org/centos/7/vagrant/x86_64/images/CentOS-7-Vagrant-1505-x86_64-01.box

> Similarly to Jeff's request about Guest Additions for VirtualBox, it
> would be ideal to have the VMware Tools preinstalled in this box -
> this is a requirement for shared folders to work. If the CentOS 7
> image is built from
> https://github.com/CentOS/sig-cloud-instance-build/blob/master/vagrant/centos7.ks,
> I think it would be a matter of including open-vm-tools in the list of
> packages, to get access to /usr/lib64/libhgfs.so.​

Yeah thats the ks file used for creating the Vagrant box.