[CentOS-devel] Feedback on C7 Vagrant Box

Michael Vermaes mvermaes at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 05:54:48 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 1:06 PM, Lalatendu Mohanty <lmohanty at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 07/10/2015 10:27 AM, Michael Vermaes wrote:
>
> On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 5:36 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
>>
>> On 09/07/15 12:23, Michael Vermaes wrote:
>> > Hello, in addition to the other comments, I just wanted to say that it
>> > would be great to have an 'official' vmware_desktop Vagrant box
>> > available on Atlas as well.
>> >
>> > Let me know if there's anything I can do to help enable that. I found
>> > this bugzilla issue which could maybe be used for tracking the various
>> > requirements?
>> >
>> > https://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=6365
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Michael
>>
>> I believe the vbox image should work as-is with the vmware provider as
>> well ? is that something you might be able to try ?
>>
>> - KB
>

> Thanks for the suggestion. Here's the message I received when I tried to 'vagrant up' after '
> vagrant init centos/7
> '
>
> Bringing machine 'default' up with 'vmware_workstation' provider...
> ==> default: Box 'centos/7' could not be found. Attempting to find and install...
>     default: Box Provider: vmware_desktop, vmware_fusion, vmware_workstation
>     default: Box Version: >= 0
> ==> default: Loading metadata for box 'centos/7'
>     default: URL: https://atlas.hashicorp.com/centos/7
> The box you're attempting to add doesn't support the provider
> you requested. Please find an alternate box or use an alternate
> provider. Double-check your requested provider to verify you didn't
> simply misspell it.
>
> If you're adding a box from HashiCorp's Atlas, make sure the box is
> released.
>
> Name: centos/7
> Address: https://atlas.hashicorp.com/centos/7
> Requested provider: ["vmware_desktop", "vmware_fusion", "vmware_workstation"]
>
> Based on your comment, it sounds like the underlying image should be compatible with VMware, it probably just needs to be uploaded again specifying that it is also valid for the vmware_desktop provider.
>

> This error is expected if you are using atlas.hashicorp.com/centos/7 as we don't have vmware provider released there.
>
> Can you please try the below [1] image. You have have to manually download the image then add it to Vagrant. Lets me know if you need any help on that.
>
> [1] http://cloud.centos.org/centos/7/vagrant/x86_64/images/CentOS-7-Vagrant-1505-x86_64-01.box

Thanks Lala, I tried the following but no luck:

vagrant box add
http://cloud.centos.org/centos/7/vagrant/x86_64/images/CentOS-7-Vagrant-1505-x86_64-01.box
--name c7-vagrant --provider vmware_desktop
==> box: Adding box 'c7-vagrant' (v0) for provider: vmware_desktop
    box: Downloading:
http://cloud.centos.org/centos/7/vagrant/x86_64/images/CentOS-7-Vagrant-1505-x86_64-01.box
The box you attempted to add doesn't match the provider you specified.

Provider expected: vmware_desktop
Provider of box: virtualbox