[CentOS-devel] Regarding GSoC project : Documentation Toolchain

Lei Yang yltt1234512 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 14:25:52 UTC 2015

Hi,

Thank you for your suggestion!

Our GSoC project is not very similar with a conventional doc toolchain. Its goal is to lower the barrier for new comers to contributor. Especially for those short-form how-to docs. Here is the original idea (http://wiki.centos.org/GSoC/2015/Ideas#docs-toolchain <http://wiki.centos.org/GSoC/2015/Ideas#docs-toolchain>) for your reference.

Taking that into consideration, we think that we should make use of github as that’a a platform that almost all potential contributors are familiar with. We don’t want to involve many command line executions. So we suppose that users make PR on github. However, at the same time, we don’t want to fully rely on a third party service like github, so we choose to store the original git repo on git.c.o. Pull requests happen on github, and changes are synced back to git.c.o after reviewing. Finally the doc is built based on git.c.o. That’s the workflow.

To implement this, we need to integrate github and git.c.o. One of the steps is to provide a place where staff can review the changes and choose to accept the contribution. First we planed to use bugzilla, but in the discussion with Karsten and in the discussion on this list, we learned that using bugzilla will add extra burden to maintain it, so we might switch to bugs.centos.org <http://bugs.centos.org/>. Using which platform is still to be discussed, and we may have a meeting on #centos-devel.

Our project is aimed at short-form how-to docs and lowering the barrier, so conventional workflows might not work well in our project.

Thanks again for your suggestion.

Regards,
Lei