[CentOS-devel] CentOS 7 (1503) i686 Beta Architecture

Jim Perrin jperrin at centos.org
Mon Jun 8 16:45:58 UTC 2015

I'm not opposed to that, so long as *something* (disttag?) changes, so
that we don't end up with the exact same package name built with a
different gcc option. The potential for silent problems due to identical
looking package naming with different build options is much higher.

If you can come up with another few people to help you out (so that it's
not relying entirely on one person), then it's something we can
seriously discuss without the need for hypotheticals.

On 06/08/2015 10:57 AM, Vladimir Stackov wrote:
> Any chances for a dedicated SIG?
> 08.06.2015 16:59 пользователь "Jim Perrin" <jperrin at centos.org> написал:
>

>> On 06/05/2015 05:46 AM, Vladimir Stackov wrote:
>>> Greetings,
>>>
>>> currently we are maintaining own CentOS 7 i686 rebuild and I would like
>>> kindly ask you to replace following macros from gcc.spec:
>>>
>>> %if 0%{?rhel} >= 7
>>> %ifarch %{ix86}
>>>    --with-arch=x86-64 \
>>> %endif
>>> %ifarch x86_64
>>>    --with-arch_32=x86-64 \
>>> %endif
>>>
>>> with that:
>>>
>>> %if 0%{?rhel} >= 7
>>> %ifarch %{ix86}
>>>         --with-arch=i686 \
>>> %endif
>>> %ifarch x86_64
>>>         --with-arch_32=i686 \
>>> %endif
>>>
>>> x86-64 causes gcc to use extended instruction set for produced code and
>>> it's impossible to run CentOS 7 i686 on older systems without SSE2
>>> instruction because of SIGILL.
>>> This affects Pentium 3, old VIA CPUs, old Xeons and some others.
>>>
>>> Is that possible?
>>

>> Overall, I'm hesitant here as folks (some of the epel devs as well as
>> others) are looking at this as a way to supplement the 32bit environment
>> for the base distro for building things like wine. I don't want to mix
>> gcc build options for things that may live in both places.
>>

>> --
>> Jim Perrin
>> The CentOS Project | http://www.centos.org
>> twitter: @BitIntegrity | GPG Key: FA09AD77