[CentOS-devel] Calendar of Meetings [Was: Re: Office Hours / Happy hours]

Brian (bex) Exelbierd bex at pobox.com
Tue Jun 9 19:34:58 UTC 2015

On Jun 9, 2015, at 12:17 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:

> On 08/06/15 21:25, Brian (bex) Exelbierd wrote:
>>> Why do you need a central auth system for that? In openstack, we just have
>>> meetings managed in a bunch of yaml files in a git repo. Some tooling generates
>>> an ical file off this and prevents collisions. I'm not sure this approach is
>>> suitable for centos, but it's been working out well for openstack.
>>>
>>> See: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/CreateaMeeting
>>
>> Something like this would seem to be a good stop gap.  Is this something people would support as an interim measure?
>>

> happy to support any system we can use right now, and it looks like you
> volunteered to get it setup and keep it going. So a +1 from me.

I took a look at the code used by OpenStack and it is easy to get running.

I have never put anything into our infrastructure before.  It looks like we need:

1) A git repo to hold the meeting data
2) A decision on who can commit meeting changes or if we want to do a pull style system.  (Do we want to mirror this down from github and let that system manage the commit issues?)
3) A server/container engine somewhere that can run the ics generator on an as needed basis.
4) A webserver that can serve the .ics file to interested subscribers and serve the meeting list.

There appears to be a jquery display widget we could get running if we really want a calendar style listing on the website.  I can also look at extending the code to provide a textual list of meetings for the next period of time (assumes we can get a cron job for daily refresh).

I am happy to do the leg work, but I don’t know where to get started on securing these resources.  Any ideas.

regards,

bex