[CentOS-devel] CentOS CLA (Contributor License Agreement)

Matthew Miller

mattdm at mattdm.org
Mon Jun 29 15:58:07 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 04:47:34PM +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> >> Lets change it to 'I will do no evil, I will break no laws, I will play
> >> in a community friendly manner'. Perhaps better worded, we dont need
> >> anything more than that.
> > For what it's worth, this is significantly — very significantly! —
> > broader in scope and more restrictive than the FPCA.
> 'evil' and 'nice' are both fairly subjective, so all were saying is dont
> do anything illegal. I cant imagine the FPCA welcomes illegal activity.

Fedora doesn't, of course, but the FPCA doesn't cover any of that. It
just asks that all contributions be under _some_ legitimate license and
specifies a default (CC-BY-SA for content, MIT for code). That's all.
It doesn't place any further restrictions or require you to agree to
anything else.

While we _want_ contributors to be non-evil and play nicely, that's out
of scope here. Possibly "don't contribute code to which you do not have
the right" is covered under both "break no laws" and "play in a
community friendly manner", but so, presumably, are a host of other
things.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>