[CentOS-devel] Congratulations for selection in GSOC-2015

Lars Kurth lars.kurth.xen at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 12:42:32 UTC 2015

Karsten,

what I really wanted to ask is how the CentOS community wants to handle 7, assuming there are always too many GSoC applicants. All the other steps are understood.

What I did in the past was to organize 1-3 private meetings with mentors to come up with a shortlist and figure out how many slots to allocate. The scoring mechanism is OK, but people tend to give their proposals often a higher score than they should and mentors have different expectations. Coming up with a shortlist (or ordered list of applicants) can be a bit of a chore for larger projects and there could be disagreements between mentors of course. And from past experience I found that it is better to focus on the best students and the ones who engage with the mailing list very publicly straight from the beginning. Those who don't rarely tend to engage more during the program.

With Easter being pretty soon and many Europeans being on vacation, it may make sense to start planning 7 soon. The slot application deadline is 2 weeks after the application deadline and then there is a bit more than a week after that to make a selection.
* 27 March: 19:00 UTC - Student application deadline.
* Interim Period: Mentoring organizations review and rank student proposals; where necessary, mentoring organizations may request further proposal detail from the student applicant.
* 13 April: Mentoring organizations should have requested slots via their profile in Melange by this point.
* 15 April: Slot allocations published to mentoring organizations.
* 21 April: Chose the students we want to take (with 1 or two back-ups in case they applied for other orgs too)

Regards
Lars