[CentOS-devel] Congratulations for selection in GSOC-2015

Karanbir Singh

mail-lists at karan.org
Tue Mar 3 13:09:22 UTC 2015

On 03/02/2015 08:04 PM, Karsten Wade wrote:
> On 03/02/2015 11:21 AM, Saket Sinha wrote:
>> Hi,
>
>> I will like to congratulate the  Centos Team  for getting selected
>> in GSOC 2015. Looking forward to work with them this summer.
>
>> I have gone through the ideas listed on the centos ideas page and i
>> am interested in working on "Rootfs build factory".
>
>> http://wiki.centos.org/GSoC/2015/Ideas#rootfs-build-factory
>
> Thanks, much appreciated!
>
> Also, glad to see you are following the getting involved process.
>
> Heads up to the mailing list here that we are going to be having
> increased discussions now between mentors and students on this mailing
> list. We're going to use the centos-gsoc@ mailing list mainly for
> administrivia. All the developer discussions should circle around this
> list and/or #centos-devel on Freenode.

Just to be clear here, you meant that the centos-gsoc[1] list was going
to be used for the GSoC specific content and the gsocadmin[2] list was
for the adminstration stuff right ? Thats what we say on the wiki
pages[3] and thats my understanding on how things are setup.

Lets not move the gsoc specific content to centos-devel if we dont need to.

The wiki also talks about a centos-gsoc-mentors at centos.org list, which
does not exist. And I dont see any requests for it, do we want to skip
that and just use the gsocadmin list for the same scope instead ?

> Over the next few days we'll be getting the mentors to join via the
> GSoC web app, and quickly spin up how things are going to work. We
> have a long lead time between now and the summer so that students can
> write up good proposals with mentors' help, and have time to get to
> know each other as individuals and a group before the summer coding
> season kicks off.

I'm also going to start reaching out to all the mentors to make sure we
have scope and integration points consolidated for all the efforts that
ramp up, and make sure we're all integrating, deliverying code etc in a
single process ( and finally, make sure that the work scope is relevant
for a 3 month dev cycle ).

ref:
3) http://wiki.centos.org/GSoC/HowToApply

--