[CentOS-devel] CentOS 7 liveCD survey

Julio Martinez hulyom at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 26 08:40:23 UTC 2015

> Hi,
>
> While working on the next 7.1511 Live media, I discovered that the
> size for the actual CentOS 7 LiveCD would be more than 700MB.
>
> It's due to some packages being now bigger and bigger, also due to the
> big Gnome 3.8 -> 3.14 rebase.
> One obvious package I can remove from the packages manifest (which
> itself is consuming more and more space) is Firefox.
>
> If I remove it from the packages manifest (only for LiveCD, it will
> obviously stay for the LiveGnome and LiveKDE DVD iso images), it's
> then back to 650 MB, so that would mean that one would still be able
> to burn it on a CD.
>
> But the real question is then : does that even make sense ? for each
> release, we're now fighting with disk space constraints, and I'm each
> time removing packages from that LiveCD image. If we remove Firefox
> itself, that would mean that such LiveCD would be useful just for
> people willing to "test" CentOS on their hardware, but that would be a
> basic Gnome desktop.
> It builds/runs fine, can be installed too (like before), but I'd like
> your opinion about this.

Hello Fabian
I have used a couple of times the Live CD to introduce CentOS to new
users which allows them  test how it feels. Removing Firefox would be a
big loss and do those "demos" would be impossible, well, in those cases
probably we'd have to go to a DVD or USB image. But I see your point of
view coming from a Developers background and it's probably where the CD
is still mostly in use

I hope it helps

Julio