[CentOS-devel] Request to join the Cloud Instance SIG for Microsoft Azure

Stephen Zarkos

Stephen.Zarkos at microsoft.com
Thu Nov 12 21:41:16 UTC 2015

Hi,

They could be, although it may be better to build these separately for now and see how we can merge them later.  For example, the Hyper-V images would not require the Azure Linux agent, and we may wish to enable additional userspace daemons to handle specific on-prem Hyper-V scenarios (VSS for snapshotting, fcopy, etc.).

Overall the existence of the agent or services will not adversely impact the VM if it's running in either environment (the agent may just add a bit of noise in the console logs when running on-prem).

> And I guess the next step here would be to get you signed up on the SIG ( I
> will work on that ), and start looking at the Azure Linux agent and how best to
> get that built in

Currently the Linux agent is available in EPEL, if that helps.  We may work to integrate it with upstream RHEL, but that's not the case today.

> Aside from this, can you potentially list our the steps needed to adapt
> http%3a%2f%2fcloud.ce
> ntos.org%2fcentos%2f7%2fimages%2fCentOS-7-x86_64-
> GenericCloud.qcow2
> ? We can then roll those changes in and look at testing the image. If there are
> changes that might impact other consumers of the image, we can do an
> Azure branded image ( which might also work out better for folks looking at
> BYOI process' ).

Sure, I can list the steps here.  Is there a wiki or similar available where we can codify these steps?

There are only a few changes:

1) Add the following parameters to /etc/default/grub:

        earlyprintk=ttyS0,115200 rootdelay=300

    1a) We'd also recommend removing "crashkernel=auto" as well.  This parameter often won't work right on Hyper-V without some additional tweaks anyway, and will save memory on smaller VM sizes (i.e. Azure's A0 size).

    1b) Be sure to rebuild grub.cfg (grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg)

2) Remove the "cloud-init" package.  The Azure datasource does not quite work in CentOS yet.

3) Install WALinuxAgent package from EPEL:

     rpm -ivh http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/7/x86_64/e/epel-release-7-5.noarch.rpm
     yum -y install WALinuxAgent
     systemctl enable waagent.service

4) Enable NTP (timedatectl set-ntp true)

5) Clear the file "/lib/udev/rules.d/75-persistent-net-generator.rules".  MAC addresses can change.
     - Note that this step may not be required in the future.

Our team can help test the image once it's built.  Please let me know if you have questions.

Thanks!
Steve