[CentOS-devel] RFC: Performance tuning of the Vagrant images

Laurentiu Pancescu lpancescu at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 13:55:52 UTC 2016

Hello everyone,

I would like to ask for your feedback about tuning the official CentOS
images for Vagrant.  The good news: the next release will probably
provide Vagrant images for both CentOS 6 and 7, not just 7 as until now.

Deltarpm allows yum to download just binary diffs for the already
installed packages and rebuild the rpms locally, thus decreasing the
used bandwidth.  However, this is quite CPU and I/O intensive, and
significantly slower than just downloading the full packages (at least
for users on any sort of broadband connection).  Deltarpm can be useful
for users in development countries, which do not always have access to
unmetered broadband, while someone hosting many VM instances on the same
server, like a VPS provider, might want to avoid the extra I/O load
(especially on mechanical hard-disks).  Deltarpm is already part of the
CentOS 7 images since May 2015 - should we keep it or remove it?

Tuned, a daemon that can adjust system parameters based on the workload
(it comes with a number of profiles, optimized for different
situations), is preinstalled in CentOS 7, and can significantly improve
performance and/or reduce load.  Tuned can also be installed in CentOS
6, and it would increase the size of the Vagrant image with just 291kB,
since its prerequisites are already installed.  Should we add it to
CentOS 6?  If you are not familiar with tuned, the following links might
be helpful:

http://servicesblog.redhat.com/2012/04/16/tuning-your-system-with-tuned/
http://www.slideshare.net/IamFedora/tuned

Thanks in advance,