[CentOS-devel] RFC: Performance tuning of the Vagrant images

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Wed Apr 27 08:29:31 UTC 2016

On 26/04/16 14:55, Laurentiu Pancescu wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I would like to ask for your feedback about tuning the official CentOS
> images for Vagrant.  The good news: the next release will probably
> provide Vagrant images for both CentOS 6 and 7, not just 7 as until now.
>
> Deltarpm allows yum to download just binary diffs for the already
> installed packages and rebuild the rpms locally, thus decreasing the
> used bandwidth.  However, this is quite CPU and I/O intensive, and
> significantly slower than just downloading the full packages (at least
> for users on any sort of broadband connection).  Deltarpm can be useful
> for users in development countries, which do not always have access to
> unmetered broadband, while someone hosting many VM instances on the same
> server, like a VPS provider, might want to avoid the extra I/O load
> (especially on mechanical hard-disks).  Deltarpm is already part of the
> CentOS 7 images since May 2015 - should we keep it or remove it?
>
> Tuned, a daemon that can adjust system parameters based on the workload
> (it comes with a number of profiles, optimized for different
> situations), is preinstalled in CentOS 7, and can significantly improve
> performance and/or reduce load.  Tuned can also be installed in CentOS
> 6, and it would increase the size of the Vagrant image with just 291kB,
> since its prerequisites are already installed.  Should we add it to
> CentOS 6?

yes, lets add tuned to the c6 image, it can make a huge impact. And I
believe there was consideration to add it to all CentOS-6 images
including the cloud and centos userland ones.

w.r.t deltarpm, I'd say skip it for now, we can make add a README to the
image root that tells people they can install it. and we can then
retospectively decide if its a good win ( based on user feedback ).

On CentOS-7, lets leave tuned and deltarpm in for now, since we've
already set some user expectations around it.

--
Karanbir Singh