[CentOS-devel] Productivity Tooling SIG creation request

Fabien Boucher

fboucher at redhat.com
Tue Dec 6 11:28:12 UTC 2016

Hello,

Following a discussion during the last CentOS interlock in Paris, we want to propose the creation
of a new SIG that will try to package and deliver applications (and related libraries)
that can be called productivity applications such as:

* Issues trackers
* Source code management tools
* Job orchestrators

In the beginning we want to focus on packaging applications we currently ship inside an
Open source CI/CD platform called Software Factory [1] and make them
available for every CentOS user. Once packaged, we will use them directly
to build the Software Factory image. These applications are (among others):

* Storyboard [2]
* Gerrit [3]
* Zuul [4]
* Redmine [5]

Software Factory is a software development platform geared towards CI and CD
that we've been developing since January 2014. Software Factory pre-configures and runs
Gerrit, Jenkins, Nodepool, Zuul (and other optional services) over CentOS.
We are going to package these services to ease the Software Factory image creation
but we think this effort of packaging and the resulting artifacts make sense under a SIG
thus this Productivity Tooling SIG creation request.

We intend to provide & maintain an instance of Software Factory that will host the related distgit
repositories and automate the CI jobs interacting with CBS.

We are looking forward to your comments and we hope this new SIG
request make sense.

[1]: https://softwarefactory-project.io
[2]: https://github.com/openstack-infra/storyboard
[3]: https://www.gerritcodereview.com/
[4]: https://github.com/openstack-infra/zuul
[5]: http://www.redmine.org/

Cheers,
Fabien Boucher on behalf of the Software Factory team.