[CentOS-devel] Atomic SIG: discussion about kubernetes-node in downstream image

Jason Brooks

jbrooks at redhat.com
Tue Dec 6 17:55:55 UTC 2016

With the goal of slimming down the size of our atomic host image and
of allowing users the flexibility to choose different component
versions, we removed kubernetes and few other packages from the
continuous/alpha version of centos atomic host back in august[1].

[1] https://github.com/CentOS/sig-atomic-buildscripts/commit/3ce19d58a5f1d9b5d54192a90a04f0e23b4d18b9#diff-5c9437c7b7ca6ef627c754c5d7d3c052

Fedora made a similar change[2] in Fedora Atomic 25.

[2] https://pagure.io/fedora-atomic/c/219c9bb26426811a5f32188c59682ad70c3283e5

RHEL Atomic host, in the 7.3 version, went halfway and removed the
master half of kubernetes, but left the node half of the package in
place. When we update the downstream version of CentOS Atomic Host, if
we follow the lead of RHEL AH, we'll be pinned to kubernetes 1.3 for
the kubelet and kube-proxy, and we'll have to run the master
components in containers.

I want to discuss diverging from RHEL AH by not including the
kubernetes-node pkg in our downstream image. This would allow users to
install a newer version of the kubernetes-node, such as this 1.4.5
version from my copr[3] that I hope to see move into the virt-sig
soon.

[3] https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/jasonbrooks/kubernetes/

The 1.3 kube would still be available in the extras repo (once it's
built), and users will have the option of installing that one, if they
choose, using package layering. [4]

[4] http://www.projectatomic.io/blog/2016/07/hacking-and-extending-atomic-host/

Either way, we'll need to document this, and I'm working on those docs now.

Jason