[CentOS-devel] centos/7 vagrant box: Could not find a controller named 'IDE Controller'

Marcin Dulak

marcin.dulak at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 23:18:06 UTC 2016

On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 8:23 PM, Laurențiu Păncescu <lpancescu at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 5, 2016 at 12:05 PM, Marcin Dulak <marcin.dulak at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Just imagine how many people may be affected by 'IDE Controller' suddenly
>> missing and applying the workaround by changing the name to 'IDE'.
>>
>> I'm saying that box.ovf provided by centos vagrant boxes may be possibly
>> incorrect, as the configuration is not read.
>> Please verify this. The box.ovf contains 'IDE Controller' - maybe
>> correcting box.ovf is enough to bring the 'IDE Controller' back.
>>

> I noticed today that I see "IDE controller" again in VirtualBox, instead
> of just "IDE" like in November. This is exactly the same box, with the same
> .ovf file; the only change during this time is that I upgraded from
> VirtualBox 5.0.28 to 5.0.30.  I remember having had issues with the Debian
> Vagrant images, which are exported from VirtualBox 5.1.x (the network cable
> was marked as not connected on 5.0.x, so Vagrant wasn't able to ssh in).  I
> see "OVF: improve importing of VMs created by VirtualBox
> <https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/VirtualBox> 5.1" in the changelog of
> VirtualBox 5.0.28 - perhaps this introduced a regression in parsing the OVF
> files and it was fixed in 5.0.30?
>
> https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Changelog-5.0#v28

I'm still thinking there can be something in centos box.ovf that makes it
vulnerable to such changes.
Someone familiar with the specification should be able to comment on this.
In the meantime I created an issue with vagrant:
https://github.com/mitchellh/vagrant/issues/8105
Are you getting the correct boot order from centos/7 as described in the
vagrant issue?

Best regards,

Marcin