[CentOS-devel] centos/7 vagrant box: Could not find a controller named 'IDE Controller'

Mon Dec 5 10:29:07 UTC 2016
Laurentiu Pancescu <lpancescu at gmail.com>

Hello Marcin,

On 04/12/16 04:52, Marcin Dulak wrote:
> it looks to me that the reason for 'IDE Controller' missing may be actually
> in the box.ovf file,

perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my previous reply: there is no
guarantee that a Vagrant box will have an IDE controller named "IDE
Controller", and there never was.  There is no mention of IDE in the
Vagrant documentation[1], and, if I may quote from the VirtualBox User
Manual, chapter 5, section 5.1, the last paragraph[2]:

| In general, you should avoid IDE unless it is the only controller
| supported by your guest. Whether you use SATA, SCSI or SAS does not
| make any real difference.

Using SATA has concrete performance benefits, both in disk performance
on the guest, as well as in CPU and memory usage on the host.  I'm
already using SATA instead of IDE for my own experimental Vagrant boxes
for VirtualBox, and switching our official boxes away from IDE is
something I'm considering for the future.  Such boxes wouldn't have any
IDE controller at all.

My advice would be to change your Vagrantfile to find the storage
controller used by the VirtualBox VM (you can write normal Ruby code
inside a Vagrantfile); if that's too complex, an alternative would be to
add an additional storage controller with a name of your choosing and
attach you disk image there.

Best regards,
Laurențiu

[1] https://www.vagrantup.com/docs/virtualbox/boxes.html