[CentOS-devel] Curating containers

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Tue Feb 9 18:19:00 UTC 2016

On 02/07/2016 08:29 AM, Troy Dawson wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 7, 2016 at 3:22 AM, Karanbir Singh <kbsingh at centos.org> wrote:
>> hi,
>>
>> Yesterday a few of us met for a face to face walk through of the CentOS
>> Container Pipeline we've been talking about. The aim was to rescope the
>> upstream projects we can lean on, share code with, and help - and then
>> find the glue pieces that could bring this code base together.
>>
>> The larger picture effectively boils down to :
>> - Find the components needed to track code git repos ( either in
>> git.centos.org or elsewhere )
>> - Find the components needed to now build that code, containerise the
>> code, push it through a test process, and then deliver the containers
>> either locally into a centos transitional container registry, or to a
>> CDN like wider centos registry or if the user so desires, to a third
>> part registry ( provided a good process can be find to handle the
>> credentials needed ).
>> - We'd want to use this pipeline both internally, for the CentOS Linux
>> components ( eg. a LAMP container from CentOS Linux 7 ), for SIG
>> components via cbs output ( eg. SCLo SIG folks shipping containers for
>> their content ), as well as open this up via a trivial UI, for anyone in
>> the community who'd like to come and consume this pipeline.
>>
>> the key piece that we didnt have clarity on was the orchestration and
>> glue that could bind the various software components. Vaclav Pavlin,
>> brought up that we might be able to use openshift templates in order to
>> get the job runs done - if the input for the templates could be derived
>> from the cccp-index, either via the jjb work already done, or writing a
>> new filter into JJB, we might be able to execute a fairly scaleable
>> solution without needing to own any piece of the over all code.
>>
>> Additionally, there is a fair interest from the Fedora team ( ie Adam! )
>> working on the same problem in their space, mostly consuming the
>> identical code stack, within and for  their infra, their constraints and
>> aims.
>>
>> Over the coming days we are going to try and work though PoC's, get some
>> infra setup and trial running through some of the user stories we want
>> to execute on.
>>
>> Finally, a quick shout out to everyone for coming together at pretty
>> much the last minute adhoc meeting - Fabian Arrotin, Brian Stinson,
>> Christoph Goern, Vaclav Pavlin, Aaron Weitekamp, Tomas Tomecek, Adam
>> Miller, Dusty Mabe, Honza Horak, Radek Vokal as well as Tim Waugh, Bama
>> Charan and Mohammed Zeeshan  for dialing into the meeting.
>>
>> And to everyone else, want to build containers with us ? come talk to us
>> - we'd love to make sure we include as many user stories to get great
>> scope before we start implementing bits.
>>
>> regards
>>

> What do you mean by "containers"?
> When I hear that word everything from docker and rocket images, to
> virtual machine images, and more, come to mind.

Well, I think that depends on the group who wants the container.

For now, I would think we would orchestrate docker containers that work
with atomic and containers that work in openshift-origin as starting points.

But I would also think that SIGs can support other container types as
well, if they choose to.

Very fluid at this point, I think.