[CentOS-devel] Curating containers

Bamacharan Kundu bamachrn at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 07:29:10 UTC 2016

Hi,

   Vaclav presented the build pipeline very nicely and this would take out
lot of tension for building the code, checking the code standards and test
cases from the developer.

I would like to add few points on this.

On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 8:08 PM, Vaclav Pavlin <vpavlin at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> As KB wrote, I brought up the idea of using OpenShift as a glue (i.e.
> workflow controller). The result can be found here:
> https://github.com/vpavlin/cccp-demo-openshift
>
> TL;DR:
>
> The repository contains OpenShift Template defining the workflow - build,test, delivery and (very poorly) implements the steps through Docker images (i.e. Dockerfiles and run scripts).
>
> The developer should do only git push to his VCS and this should trigger
the build process in the pipeline.

In this TDD process all the environments (including the build, test,
delivery) would be created as a container and once the step is over it will
destroy the environment. As output this will generate a application runtime
along with the successfully built application code to registry.

As you mentioned this would be tagged with test along with jenkins build
id, so that developer or QA can trace for which commit this is built.

Then for the next stages, successfully built image would be deployed to
openshift instance to get through the test, delivery stages checking, along
with the quality gates.

all the stages should be linked to pipeline and should be easily
re-producible so that any one can check or regenerate the issues instantly.

> It's easily runnable in Vagrant with use of Project Atomic Developer Bundle.
>
> If you are interested in more info, I'd suggest to read the readme in the repo, I hope it summarizes it clearly.
>
> It's a very minimal demo, but I think it suggests the path, which could take us to the Unicorns land, quite well:).
>
> Let me know in case of any questions, suggestions or requests for guidance in case anybody decides to take this further.
>
> I would like to take this further, please let me know if my thought
process is in the same line as yours or any changes, suggestions.

Few weeks back I created almost a similar system (without vagrant) and it
was very much welcomed by the developers.

Thanks
Bamacharan

--
Bamacharan Kundu