[CentOS-devel] Curating containers

Karanbir Singh kbsingh at centos.org
Wed Feb 10 11:00:58 UTC 2016

On 10/02/16 07:29, Bamacharan Kundu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Vaclav presented the build pipeline very nicely and this would
> take out lot of tension for building the code, checking the code
> standards and test cases from the developer.
>
> I would like to add few points on this.
>
> On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 8:08 PM, Vaclav Pavlin <vpavlin at redhat.com
> <mailto:vpavlin at redhat.com>> wrote:
>

> Hi all,
>
> As KB wrote, I brought up the idea of using OpenShift as a glue
> (i.e. workflow controller). The result can be found here:
>
> https://github.com/vpavlin/cccp-demo-openshift
>
> TL;DR:
>
> The repository contains OpenShift Template defining the workflow -
> build,test, delivery and (very poorly) implements the steps through
> Docker images (i.e. Dockerfiles and run scripts).
>
> The developer should do only git push to his VCS and this should
> trigger the build process in the pipeline.

in an onprem story that would map well, but note that were aiming to
run a hosted service with a distinct UI ( even if the UI is no UI )

> In this TDD process all the environments (including the build,
> test, delivery) would be created as a container and once the step
> is over it will destroy the environment. As output this will
> generate a application runtime along with the successfully built
> application code to registry.
>
> As you mentioned this would be tagged with test along with jenkins
> build id, so that developer or QA can trace for which commit this
> is built.
>
> Then for the next stages, successfully built image would be
> deployed to openshift instance to get through the test, delivery
> stages checking, along with the quality gates.
>
> all the stages should be linked to pipeline and should be easily
> re-producible so that any one can check or regenerate the issues
> instantly.

add another dimension there - collection of related containers, ie.
the entire microservice should be reproduceable.

> It's easily runnable in Vagrant with use of Project Atomic
> Developer Bundle.
>
> If you are interested in more info, I'd suggest to read the readme
> in the repo, I hope it summarizes it clearly.
>
> It's a very minimal demo, but I think it suggests the path, which
> could take us to the Unicorns land, quite well:).
>
> Let me know in case of any questions, suggestions or requests for
> guidance in case anybody decides to take this further.
>
> I would like to take this further, please let me know if my
> thought process is in the same line as yours or any changes,
> suggestions.

we need to work through whats needed to now integrate with the
cccp-index content, and then map that back to deliverables. I had
asked Zeeshan to look at registry side for delivery space, unsure how
far he's gotten with that.

Once we have the end to end scaffolding in place, we should then work
through a few use cases, for the service side, and look at scope of
development needed from that point on.

- --
Karanbir Singh, Project Lead, The CentOS Project
+44-207-0999389 | http://www.centos.org/ | twitter.com/CentOS