[CentOS-devel] 3.18.22 Kernel RPM Contribution to CentOS

Nico Kadel-Garcia

nkadel at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 12:58:03 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 3:57 AM,  <gayathri.madda at wipro.com> wrote:
> Hi Team,
>

> As there was no official Linux kernel RPM   (version 3.18.22) for CentOS 7
> in any of their distribution versions, we have customized spec file for
> creating 3.18.22 kernel RPM for CentOS-7 Minimal version by taking 3.18.12
> kernel spec file

I will warn you that kernel updates of a production grade operating
sytem like RHEL, upstream, takes one heck of a lot more testing than
just "use new tarball". It needs to run through quite a large
regression test suite, to make sure that old fixes and patches are
customizations are correctly applied, and it doesn't break anything
critical, and ideally that it provides a worthwhile upgrade.

Was there some specific feature you were seeking? Features that will
not be available in, say, the 4.5.0  kernel currently in Fedora
rawhide?