[CentOS-devel] Update on CentOS Community Container Pipeline

Bamacharan Kundu

bamachrn at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 13:49:46 UTC 2016

Hi All,

Update on recent work done for the CentOS Container Pipeline.

- We noticed that some test runs would fail due to content not being
available at the right time. We tracked this down to and fixed a race
condition that caused container test stages to remove content while it is
being used in delivery stage. This also fixed a problem where sometimes the
notify email was not being sent out.

- removing all artifacts on the builder nodes once the built containers are
pushed out (or failed ), without this we were using up a lot of storage for
content that would otherwise never be useful. We will try and come up with
a smart process to catalog these before removing them ( either via cron or
opportunity driven )

- Refresh the build configurations and templates for each build, so that it
builds from scratch for each build. This ensures that no previously cached
content or state can impact the present build, test and delivery run.

- Due to the layers involved with openshift and how we implement the build,
reporting cycle we've had issues with the emails that get sent out to the
user to notify them of a success / fail state along with some details on
what went wrong or where they can download the built images. We've done
some work in this area to both improve the content that gets sent out and
also to help ensure a better delivery rate ( we believe all the issues
causing email delivery failures are now fixed, but we will continue to
monitor )

Our immediate next focus is :

- be able to demo some of the work we've been doing to the various SIGs in
CentOS, to make sure we are doing the best possible work to solve their
problems and support them in the best possible manner.

- continue to work on closing off the minimal feature set allowing us to
release / announce the service for the wider audiences.

- develop a comprehensive life-cycle plan to audit and report on existing
containers built in the pipeline.

Regards
Bamacharan

--