[CentOS-devel] CBS kernel-debuginfo packages

Johnny Hughes

johnny at centos.org
Tue Jun 7 15:22:14 UTC 2016

On 06/07/2016 09:56 AM, Wayne Betts wrote:
> I'm not sure if this is an appropriate place for this question - please gently
> steer me to a better place if you think there is one.
>
> I have a machine using a kernel package from the CentOS Community Build System
> (specifically kernel-3.18.21-16.el6 from
> http://cbs.centos.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=4757, but my question applies to
> other CBS kernel versions as well from what I can tell)
>
> The machine is crashing with some regularity on Sunday mornings.  Looking at a
> kdump core dump might help narrow down the cause of the crashes.
>
> But the CBS kernel packages don't appear to include kernel-debuginfo packages,
> and the kernel.spec file appears to me (a non-expert for sure) to have had the
> necessary pieces removed, so I don't know how to rebuild from the srpm and get
> the debuginfo packages that way either.
>
> If someone could help me find or build the kernel-debuginfo package, it will be
> appreciated.

Those kernel packages do not build debuginfo files.  That is also not
nearly the newest package.  There is a 3.18.34-20 package here:

http://cbs.centos.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=11179

You can see the packages that are built and look at all the build logs
and root logs, etc, by going to:

http://cbs.centos.org/koji/

and adding kernel in the search box .. then picking the version you are
interested in.

But, as you can see in the above link, there are no debuginfo files
produced.

However, we do take updates directly from the kernel.org 3.18 LTS kernel
tree, so there are a lot of things that have been fixed (and a lot of
security updates) since 3.18.21 .. in fact you can see all of the
changelogs starting with :

https://cdn.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v3.x/ChangeLog-3.18.22

and using 23, 24. 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, and 34 for the
last number to review all the changelogs.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes