[CentOS-devel] Format for the CentOS (openshift) origin rpm

Jason DeTiberus jdetiber at redhat.com
Fri Sep 16 02:51:13 UTC 2016

On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 5:55 PM, Troy Dawson <tdawson at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I've been debating this all week and decided it's probably better as a
> community decision than just my own.
>
> Problem:
> The current source rpm for origin is generated using tito on the
> origin git repo.  The biggest problem with this is the tarball is
> generated on the fly and sortof encorporated into the spec file.  That
> makes it hard for others to duplicate the src.rpm and/or make patches
> for it.
>
> If I were an outsider (not on the openshift team) and making an rpm
> for Fedora/EPEL, I wouldn't do this.  I would grab the released
> tarball from Github and build my spec file around that.
>
> Solution 1:
> Keep things the same.
> Do others really care that they can't duplicate the src.rpm without
> tito, as long as they can recompile it?

Personally, I like this approach since it integrates with rhpkg/fedpkg very
well. I'm not sure if CentOS has a similar tool that provides dist-git
alongside koji, but I like the idea of being able to leverage the same spec
file for all builds.

That said, I do wonder if providing a tool that could "convert" the tito
managed spec file to one that can be run outside of tito would be
beneficial.

> Solution 2:
> Create a origin spec file that uses the tarball from Github.
> I've already done this.  It works quite well.  But it does involve
> some manual spec file editing.
>
> Troy
> p.s. I am totally fine either way.  The only reason I've been debating
> this is because I keep having issues with tito making the whole
> src.rpm.

cc'ing Devan Goodwin, since he knows a bit about tito. I'm also cc'ing Adam
Miller, since I know he is packaging OpenShift Origin for Fedora.

--
Jason DeTiberus