[CentOS-devel] SIG Proposal - High performance computing (HPC) SIG

Jim Perrin

jperrin at centos.org
Sun Apr 23 18:22:46 UTC 2017

So I believe one of the goals that Ondrej and others have in bringing
this SIG up are to work on providing a common HPC baseline, initially by
delivering things similar to (and expanding on) OpenHPC. Since CentOS is
an rpm based distribution, the 'package management' way to easily
install the required software is via yum/rpm. As was mentioned by the
other reply, multiple versions are often needed/required but this could
in theory be handled with SCLs.

On 04/23/2017 10:45 AM, David Hrbáč wrote:
> Dear Ondrej at al,
>
> Good to read such an email. The initiative is very needed. HPC
> infrastructure and environment is very specific and there's no need to
> have HPC SW in RPM packages. I do not want to go too much into details.
> It would be a long email. Anyway I'm responsible for
> production/operations of national HPC clusters here in Ostrava. So near
> to Brno. I'd like to invite you all to visit us. So we can explain you
> the needs of HPC. How we run the services. What we need from OS. How we
> distribute the software for end-users within the clusters.
>
> Looking forward to hearing from you soon.
> DH

> <mailto:ovasik at redhat.com>>:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     I would like to propose start of High performance computing (HPC) SIG. I
>     see it already mentioned on
>     https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup
>     <https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup>
>     among Future SIGs. Primary reason for the SIG existence will be to
>     improve the state of High performance computing related packages on
>     CentOS and similar distributions, with special focus on stability of
>     builds, CentOS (and similar distribution) related improvements for
>     OpenHPC project and getting new HPC packages packaged for CentOS and/or
>     Fedora.
>
>     Initial members would be me (ovasik at redhat.com
>     <mailto:ovasik at redhat.com>, CentOS FAS account:
>     Reset), Adrian Reber (areber at redhat.com <mailto:areber at redhat.com>,
>     CentOS FAS account: areber),
>     Stanislav Kozina (skozina at redhat.com <mailto:skozina at redhat.com>,
>     CentOS FAS account: ersin)
>     and Jan Chaloupka (jchaloup at fedoraproject.org
>     <mailto:jchaloup at fedoraproject.org>, CentOS FAS account:
>     jchaloup). Of course, anyone is welcome to join.
>
>     Thanks in advance for approving/sponsoring the SIG.
>
>     Regards,
>            Ondrej Vasik

Jim Perrin