[CentOS-devel] Broken man pages in vagrant box 1710.01

Manuel Wolfshant wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro
Sun Dec 10 23:27:53 UTC 2017

On 12/11/2017 01:07 AM, Carlos Rodrigues wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 10:46 PM, Manuel Wolfshant
> <wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro> wrote:
>> I fail to understand why would you need the man pages on a server. I do not
>> install ANY doc ( no man, no /usr/share/doc ) on any server since 2008 and I
>> never ever felt a need for change. You need to read a man page ? Fine!
>> Install it in the client you ssh from. Or read it online from that same
>> client
> And when the "client you ssh from" is a vagrant box running on a host
> that's not Linux at all? Where do I get the man pages from?
https://linux.die.net/man/ always worked perfectly for me. Especially
when I needed the man pages while being connected from a machine running
windows

>   Many
> people no longer have "properly installed" Linux clients anymore.
Right. But the effort needed to install "somewhere" a dedicated VM or
container just for the docs ( assuming you cannot browse for the man
page you want ) is minimal

> I see your point about leaving documentation out of servers, but
> that's not the point I'm making. And even in that case is debatable if
> that's a proper default... What if I do want (minimal) documentation
> on all my servers?
You install it. The effort of creating a proper recipe for
salt/puppet/ansible/your other automation tool of choice is close to zero

> What if that server is a jumpbox (and, therefore,
> the "client you ssh from" as well)?
If the server is a jumpbox you definitely do not want anything but the
bare minimum of packages. A jumpbox is not meant to be the repository of
information you read from. I for one see that info as being better
placed on the client side. But I already mentioned hat, didn't I ?

> It doesn't really take that much
> space (and packages with significant documentation already split it
> into a separate package).
Takes enough to make other people ask for it to be removed :)

> And there isn't any way to properly fetch the missing files,
yum -y reinstall $(rpm -qa --qf "{%name}.%{arch} " ) if you insist on
doing it. But as I stated before, my use cases in the last decade never
needed docs on the server side

> not even
> an easy way to know which files are missing (as "rpm -V" doesn't
> complain after "--excludedocs").
Something along ls -l $(rpm -qd) works for me

     wolfy