[CentOS-devel] Broken man pages in vagrant box 1710.01

Carlos Rodrigues cefrodrigues at gmail.com
Sun Dec 10 23:07:09 UTC 2017

On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 10:46 PM, Manuel Wolfshant
<wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro> wrote:
> I fail to understand why would you need the man pages on a server. I do not
> install ANY doc ( no man, no /usr/share/doc ) on any server since 2008 and I
> never ever felt a need for change. You need to read a man page ? Fine!
> Install it in the client you ssh from. Or read it online from that same
> client

And when the "client you ssh from" is a vagrant box running on a host
that's not Linux at all? Where do I get the man pages from? Many
people no longer have "properly installed" Linux clients anymore.

I see your point about leaving documentation out of servers, but
that's not the point I'm making. And even in that case is debatable if
that's a proper default... What if I do want (minimal) documentation
on all my servers? What if that server is a jumpbox (and, therefore,
the "client you ssh from" as well)? It doesn't really take that much
space (and packages with significant documentation already split it
into a separate package).

And there isn't any way to properly fetch the missing files, not even
an easy way to know which files are missing (as "rpm -V" doesn't
complain after "--excludedocs"). In this scenario, this choice just
breaks existing use cases.

Best regards,