[CentOS-devel] Centos 7 vagrant image unnecessary packages

Laurențiu Păncescu

lpancescu at centosproject.org
Sat Dec 16 18:37:17 UTC 2017

Hello everyone,

sorry for being so slow to answer: I moved closer to work mid-November,
but I have no Internet access yet (that'll come sometime in January,
hopefully). I'm afraid that changes to the Vagrant boxes will have to
wait until then, at least as far as I'm concerned.

Regarding packages that could be removed, I already experimented with
removing linux-firmware (which is indeed not needed by VMs), but
Anaconda will always install it, since the kernel package depends on it;
kernel upgrades will also install linux-firmware, if missing. It is
possible to remove it in %post, just like Fedora does, but without being
to able to run something like zerofree (centos/7 uses XFS, not Ext4),
the size of the image remains the same - that's why I didn't push the
changes to the official repo. I'll look into removing centos-logos as
soon as I can, thanks for the suggestion.

We could make our images smaller by splitting the kernel package into a
minimal kernel package that only contains the drivers needed by a VM,
and a kernel-modules-extra with all drivers needed when running on real
hardware (that's what Fedora did some time ago, and partially why their
images are smaller). We can only hope that Red Hat will also do this for
RHEL in the future.

Best regards,
Laurențiu Păncescu