[CentOS-devel] Centos 7 vagrant image unnecessary packages

Carlos Rodrigues

cefrodrigues at gmail.com
Sat Dec 16 18:58:46 UTC 2017

On Sat, Dec 16, 2017 at 6:37 PM, Laurențiu Păncescu
<lpancescu at centosproject.org> wrote:
> Regarding packages that could be removed, I already experimented with
> removing linux-firmware (which is indeed not needed by VMs), but Anaconda
> will always install it, since the kernel package depends on it; kernel
> upgrades will also install linux-firmware, if missing. It is possible to
> remove it in %post, just like Fedora does, but without being to able to run
> something like zerofree (centos/7 uses XFS, not Ext4), the size of the image
> remains the same - that's why I didn't push the changes to the official
> repo. I'll look into removing centos-logos as soon as I can, thanks for the
> suggestion.

Can't the "linux-firmware" package be prevented from installing any
files by setting "%_netsharedpath /usr/lib/firmware" during
installation and then remove it in %post?

Also,

Can we get (at least) the man pages back? With the removal of
centos-logos, the image size would remain about the same

Although it doesn't bother me the least, the license violation issues
that may arise from removing "/usr/share/doc" should be considered.

C.