[CentOS-devel] What to do with SCLo SIG content that is EOL

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Fri Oct 13 16:36:08 UTC 2017

On 10/12/2017 01:23 PM, Honza Horak wrote:
> We discussed this on last SCLo SIG sync-up meeting -- unlike packages
> from CentOS base, SCL packages are not moving to Vault repos at this
> point, although some of them are already EOL and not getting any
> updates. A question was raised whether such packages should be moved to
> Vault.
>
> Comparing to CentOS base packages, SCL is different in packages naming
> -- version of the stack is part of the package name. That means, that
> once e.g. devtoolset-3 got EOL, yum won't update them ever, even though
> there are some newer versions available (those use different name though)..
>
> Moving such packages from mirrors to Vault would basically mean some
> setups will get broken for users.
>
> It's understandable, that some users are still fine using EOL packages,
> but they would need to change repos to the Vault url.
>
> What do you think -- should we start moving EOL SCLs into Vault? How big
> problem would that be for you?

The way we currently handle SIG content right now, it is placed in the
main CentOS (and soon to be altarch) tree at:

centos/7/<sig_name>/<$arch>/<sub_repo>/

the /7/ is basically always the latest point release.  So it was
7.3.1611 and it is now 7.4.1708.

Right now, the movement of things to vault happens after a point
release.  So the 7.3.1611 tree will move to vault (both altarch/ and
centos/ branches) sometime after the point release.  Usually a couple
weeks, but the 32 bit Intel kernel and grub2 made it take some time and
the removal of the 7.3.1611 tree will happen this weekend.

I think the easiest process for SIGs would be this (If we are going to
continue to do 7.3.1611 and 7.4.1708 repos, etc.):

We currently have to copy SIG content from old release (7.3.1611) to the
new release (7.4.1708).  That is the perfect time to NOT move things you
want to EOL.  They will stay in the 7.3.1611 tree and only the things
you want to support would move to the 7.4.1708 tree.

If you currently look in vault, under 7.1.1503, 7.2.1511 or 7.3.1611 ..
for example :

http://vault.centos.org/7.1.1503/storage/x86_64/

http://vault.centos.org/7.2.1511/storage/x86_64/

So, in the 7.1.1503 dir .. that is the storage things that were in
7.1.1503 at the end of the release .. the day that RHEL 7.2 got
released.  All those dirs were copied over as is to our 7.2.1511
release.  If we wanted to EOL (just as an example) gluster-3.6/ , then
we could just not copy it over to 7.2.1511 at all.  It would then only
appear in vault in the 7.1.1503 dir .. which is where you want people to
get it if they need it (since we did not copy it to 7.2.1511 when we
released that).  You could then release a new centos-release-gluster36
file that changes the repo to

http://vault.centos.org/7.1.1511/storage/x86_64/gluster-3.6/

People who choose to try and run gluster-3.6 would need to grab that RPM
and use that repo.  Everyone one else needs to upgrade.

We currently produce, in our CentOS-Release RPM, a repo file called
CentOS-Vault.repo.

If you look at that repo, you will see that it provides all the Base,
Updates, Extras, etc. etc. repos for all old versions and they are
turned off by default.

Anyway .. that is how it works now.  If we need a different process ..
where, for example all the SIGs are in their own spot, so a live and a
vault area for each repo and we link those into releases.  So, our live
7.4.1708 would link into the live SIG area .. and all the trees on vault
for centos don't contain SIG content at all, it lives in it's own vault
area not tied directly to 7.0.1406, or 7.1.1511, or 7.2.1611 .. etc.

I think the easiest thing would be to leave them tied to specific
releases (because that is what it was built against, and you will not
have rebased libraries issues, like a new nss or openssl from a newer
release).  So I think the easiest thing is just to take out the older
SIG content at point release time.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes