[CentOS-devel] [NFV SIG] [Cloud SIG] Pushing sources back to Centos from RHEL

Thomas F Herbert therbert at redhat.com
Mon Apr 16 15:24:09 UTC 2018

Alfredo,

Thanks for your response.

On 04/11/2018 04:22 AM, Alfredo Moralejo Alonso wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 6, 2018 at 7:24 PM, Thomas F Herbert <therbert at redhat.com
> <mailto:therbert at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>     Even though I am NFV SIG chair, I am still learning.
>
>     We have a package, fd.io/vpp <http://fd.io/vpp> that is in the NFV
>     SIG may eventually be part of RHEL. As part of the planning
>     process RHEL RCM is asking for the URL to push packages back to
>     Centos.
>
>     What URL or mechanism does RHEL use to push sources to Centos?
>
>     Do they use cbs? Does this happen by way of the CentOS git?
>
>     Do we need a CentOS git account for NFV SIG?
>
>     How do you handle this in Cloud SIG?
>

> I'm not sure about the question but iiuc, a package that you are
> currently building in NFV
> (https://cbs.centos.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=567 ? ) is being
> added to RHEL. If that's the case, once it's shipped by Red Hat, it
> will be added to CentOS repos with some delay (as i guess this new
> package will be added in a new minor release, it may take some weeks).
> I'm not familiar with the build process for CentOS base bug afaik,
> this doesn't  need any action from SIGs and it's not done in CBS.
>
> Note that the packages you pushed to CentOS SIG will be kept in CentOS
> mirrors so, if you want that users use the build from CentOS base
> repos, I'd recommend to:
>
> - Check if NVR for packages in RHEL is higher that in CentOS.
> - Upgrade path from builds in NFV SIG to new package in CentOS works fine.
> - Repo containing the new CentOS build is enabled by default (this is
> normally the case) and you don't have conflicting yum priorities or
> things like that in your repos.
> - Note that, as packages are not actually removed from centOS mirrors,
> i'd recommend not to untag published builds from existing tags.
Yes, this was my initial assumption that the package when and if it is
released for RHEL would get pushed back into the NFV SIG in the cbs
mirrors. However, the RHEL RM people internally in RH asked where/how
they push the VPP packages to back to Centos to which led me to be
curious as to how exactly they propagate packages back to Centos.