[CentOS-devel] Reboot issue with kernel 3.10.0-862.el7.x86_64

Johnny Hughes

johnny at centos.org
Mon Apr 30 16:36:28 UTC 2018

On 04/30/2018 07:51 AM, Lamar Owen wrote:
> Ok, so I'm trying out CR for 7.5.1804, and I have upgrade three machines
> with it.  One is my laptop, a Dell Precision M6700, which worked fine.
> Another is a Dell R715 server, and that worked fine. The third machine
> will not successfully reboot with the 3.10.0-862.el7.x86_64 kernel,
> throwing endless errors of the form "qla2xxx [0000:03:07.0]-5046:4:
> Async-gpdb failed - hdX-xxx portid=xxxxxx status=38 mb1=0 mb2=0 mb6=0
> mb7" (that's as long as the line is on the screen, and it's not recorded
> into /var/log/messages (and C7 by default doesn't implement persistent
> journal storage; journalctl --list-boots only lists the current boot log)).
>
> System is a bit old, but is only used for development: Dell PowerEdge
> SC1425 two single-core Xeon 3.2GHz (obviously 64-bit capable, as it is
> running stock CentOS 7 already, with kernel 3.10.0-693.21.1.el7.x86_64
> running fine.  System is connected to two EMC Clariion arrays via a
> dual-port Fibre-Channel card: lspci tells me:
> 03:07.0 Fibre Channel: QLogic Corp. ISP2312-based 2Gb Fibre Channel to
> PCI-X HBA (rev 02)
> 03:07.1 Fibre Channel: QLogic Corp. ISP2312-based 2Gb Fibre Channel to
> PCI-X HBA (rev 02)
>
> Yeah, I know, not new, and maybe even deprecated (I actually don't see
> that adapter in the deprecated list for RHEL 7.5, but I do see ISP24xx
> ones in the deprecated list), but it worked fine with the 7.4.1708
> kernel.  I set the system to boot the older kernel until I can more
> fully troubleshoot.  I have a lot invested in ISP24xx-based cards, which
> are on the deprecated list, and I am still running fibre-channel, so
> will have to find another solution before 7.x EOL.
>

> So I consider this a regression; for the moment I'll boot the older
> kernel, but I know that isn't sustainable.

Lamar,

we need to see if this behavior is duplicated by using the RHEL-7.5 kernel.

Do you have the ability to test that?

If the behavior is the same as RHEL-7.5, then the mainline CentOS kernel
will be that way too .. BUT .. we would be glad to try to get something
into the CentOS Plus kernel, especially if you can provide a config
patch that works.

If it works in RHEL and not in CentOS, then we will start
troubleshooting to find how we broke it.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes