[CentOS-devel] Documentation help requested (Re: Upgrading from 6 to 7)

Trevor Hemsley trevor.hemsley at ntlworld.com
Mon Aug 6 15:44:03 UTC 2018

On 06/08/18 16:39, Rich Bowen wrote:
> Hi, folks,
>
> I was hoping that someone with more knowledge than I about the 6 -> 7
> upgrade process would have a look at
> https://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/CentOSUpgradeTool
>
> The page starts with a vague warning, and then continues to give
> detailed instructions, leaving it very unclear which parts the warning
> refers to.

It's not particularly vague.

*DO NOT USE this tool. Warning: use of this tool is currently BROKEN as
several system-critical packages are of a higher version number in
CentOS 6.7 than they are in CentOS 7 so those do not get upgraded
correctly. This renders yum and several other system tools non-functional.*

How much more definite about it being broken and unusable does it need
to be?

> If the process is broken, let's remove all of this and point to the
> correct process. If only a part of the process is broken, we need to
> remove that from the doc, and drop the scary warning.

It's broken and despite many calls for people to step up to maintain the
tool, nothing has happened.

Trevor