[CentOS-devel] git19 from sclo-rh missing from repodata

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Sat Aug 25 11:12:24 UTC 2018

On 08/22/2018 10:29 AM, Trevor Hemsley via CentOS-devel wrote:
> On 22/08/18 16:24, BC wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 8:35 AM, BC <centoslistmail at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I mention this because I saw no notice. One day they just disappeared
>>> from the repodata and it is curious that the RPMs themselves are still
>>> there.
>> Is there any update on this? Is it broken and will be fixed? Is it
>> intentional and a wontfix?
>
> It is intentional that it has been removed from the metadata as those
> packages are no longer supported. What is not intentional is that the
> packages themselves keep re-appearing in the directories in the repo
> itself. The repodata is correct in not listing them, the fact that they
> still exist as files is not.
>
> They're unsupported and should have been removed. The fact that you
> cannot install them as they're missing from the repodata is a good
> thing. The fact that the packages still exist (even though you cannot
> install them via yum) is not.

If you look here, you will see when things have gone EOL .. they then
get no more updates from upstream:

https://access.redhat.com/support/policy/updates/rhscl

Continuing to carry those in our repos puts users at risk security wise,
so they have been removed from the repodata.  They will be removed from
the tree at some later date, as this prevents their install and prevents
security issues.

If this BREAKS something that is supported and not past its EOL as a
dependency .. that is an issue that the SIG needs to know about so that
they can research it and find a solution.

If you insist on using the potentially insecure versions past EOL, they
are here:

http://vault.centos.org/7.4.1708/sclo/

(including their metadata)

Neither the CentOS team (or the SIG) have any control on when these
items get to EOL.  But, I don't think users want EOL items in normal
directories that are nto getting security updates.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes