[CentOS-devel] SIGs ... Was: Re: Using meetbot commands in your SIG meetings

Rich Bowen

rbowen at redhat.com
Thu Aug 2 17:55:06 UTC 2018

On 08/02/2018 01:04 PM, Phil Wyett wrote:

> On Thu, 2018-08-02 at 12:33 -0400, Rich Bowen wrote:
>> A reminder, as we head into August: If you will use the meetbot commands
>> in your IRC SIG meetings (especially #info, #agreed, and #help - full
>> command documentation is here - https://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot ) this
>> will greatly simplify going back and extracting monthly summaries from
>> your meeting minutes (published here -
>> https://www.centos.org/minutes/2018/July/ ) and turning them into blog
>> posts, tweets, and the monthly newsletter.
>>
>> Remember that your SIG meeting is not *just* for you, but is also one of
>> the ways that you "report" back to the larger community what you've been
>> working on.
>>
>> Related, if there's any way in which I can help you promote what you're
>> doing on your SIGs, please don't hesitate to let me know.
>>

> Hi Richard,
>
> To have good meeting minutes, first we need SIGs that have up to date wiki
> pages, have plans, discuss plans, have a timeline of work/goals, announce things
> and being that most SIGs allegedly use the -devel mailing list - I can see
> emails on that list going back a week without scrolling down.
>
> One example is, on IRC today, CentOS xen will move to 4.8 by default next week.
> Where is this for the wider community. No... it was just tossed out and seen by
> a few on IRC.
>
> The core SIG is AWOL inside RedHat and SIGs treat the so called community like
> mushrooms. All these things need to be fixed before a valuable newsletter will
> ever be.

There are definitely places where we can improve, and communication with
the larger community is certainly a big one. I would love to see our
SIGs be more proactive in informing and engaging the larger community,
and what I'm doing with the newsletter, and encouraging SIGs to
contribute content for it, is one way I see to move closer to that goal.

If you have other constructive suggestions, I'd love to help work
towards those as well.

I think that what we have, with most of our SIGs, is people working
quietly on whatever, and forgetting about the larger audience that
consumes their work. Not because they don't care, but because they're
busy. I'd like to make regular reporting a part of their daily workflow,
so that they think about the folks who are stakeholders in what they're
working on, and perhaps get some of those people more involved in that
process.

I'm not sure what your mushrooms comment means.

The newsletter is just a small thing that I can do each month to draw in
a larger listening audience, and hopefully some of those people will get
more involved.

Specifically pointing at the Xen example that you mention (and, of
course, all the other times this same sort of thing happens), I'd
strongly encourage everyone here to respond to information like that
with a friendly but firm "I haven't seen this mentioned on the mailing
list. Please consider telling a larger audience so that they're not
surprised by this."

Rich Bowen - rbowen at redhat.com
@CentOSProject // @rbowen
859 351 9166