[CentOS-devel] SIGs ... Was: Re: Using meetbot commands in your SIG meetings

Phil Wyett

philwyett at kathenas.org
Thu Aug 2 18:20:45 UTC 2018

On Thu, 2018-08-02 at 13:55 -0400, Rich Bowen wrote:

> On 08/02/2018 01:04 PM, Phil Wyett wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 2018-08-02 at 12:33 -0400, Rich Bowen wrote:
> > > A reminder, as we head into August: If you will use the meetbot commands
> > > in your IRC SIG meetings (especially #info, #agreed, and #help - full
> > > command documentation is here - https://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot ) this
> > > will greatly simplify going back and extracting monthly summaries from
> > > your meeting minutes (published here -
> > > https://www.centos.org/minutes/2018/July/ ) and turning them into blog
> > > posts, tweets, and the monthly newsletter.
> > >
> > > Remember that your SIG meeting is not *just* for you, but is also one of
> > > the ways that you "report" back to the larger community what you've been
> > > working on.
> > >
> > > Related, if there's any way in which I can help you promote what you're
> > > doing on your SIGs, please don't hesitate to let me know.
> > >

> > Hi Richard,
> >
> > To have good meeting minutes, first we need SIGs that have up to date wiki
> > pages, have plans, discuss plans, have a timeline of work/goals, announce
> > things
> > and being that most SIGs allegedly use the -devel mailing list - I can see
> > emails on that list going back a week without scrolling down.
> >
> > One example is, on IRC today, CentOS xen will move to 4.8 by default next
> > week.
> > Where is this for the wider community. No... it was just tossed out and seen
> > by
> > a few on IRC.
> >
> > The core SIG is AWOL inside RedHat and SIGs treat the so called community
> > like
> > mushrooms. All these things need to be fixed before a valuable newsletter
> > will
> > ever be.
>
> There are definitely places where we can improve, and communication with
> the larger community is certainly a big one. I would love to see our
> SIGs be more proactive in informing and engaging the larger community,
> and what I'm doing with the newsletter, and encouraging SIGs to
> contribute content for it, is one way I see to move closer to that goal.
>
> If you have other constructive suggestions, I'd love to help work
> towards those as well.
>
> I think that what we have, with most of our SIGs, is people working
> quietly on whatever, and forgetting about the larger audience that
> consumes their work. Not because they don't care, but because they're
> busy. I'd like to make regular reporting a part of their daily workflow,
> so that they think about the folks who are stakeholders in what they're
> working on, and perhaps get some of those people more involved in that
> process.
>
> I'm not sure what your mushrooms comment means.
>
> The newsletter is just a small thing that I can do each month to draw in
> a larger listening audience, and hopefully some of those people will get
> more involved.

> [...]

Hi Richard,

Your effort with the newsletter should be applauded and is by myself. For those
who do not wish to subscribe to many mailing lists, a newsletter can be a great
way to be informed of the project as a whole and what is going on at varying
levels, be that SIGs and even social etc.

One addition to the newsletter maybe a CentOS user section. A candid interview
with a user ans what they use the OS for and where they find greatness for them
and even issues.

The SIGs do work quietly. We seem to get releases that are not noticed, code for
releases that cannot be found and the out of date git.centos.org mess when it
comes to these SIGs needs to be addressed. A QA standard for SIGs maybe needs to
be looked at and agreed upon, as things will only get worse if left in the
current state.

Sorry... the mushrooms thing is a local saying. It relates to being kept in the
dark ... and I will leave the rest of the saying alone, this is a family list.

If I see such a thing like a default version bump in IRC again, I shall act in
the manner you suggest.

Regards

Phil

- --
*** If this is a mailing list, I am subscribed, no need to CC me.***

Playing the game for the games sake.

IRC: kathenas

Web: https://kathenas.org

Github: https://github.com/kathenas

GitLab: https://gitlab.com/kathenas

Twitter: kathenasorg

GPG: A0C3 4C6A AC2B B8F4 F1E5 EDF4 333F 60DC B0B9 BB77