[CentOS-devel] building nfs-ganesha for ceph

Kaleb S. KEITHLEY kkeithle at redhat.com
Tue Dec 4 23:08:58 UTC 2018

On 12/4/18 5:38 PM, Ken Dreyer wrote:
> Hi Niels and Kaleb,
>
> I'm wondering how we could best build nfs-ganesha's ceph FSALs in CBS.
>
> Right now, since we'll likely support multiple versions of nfs-ganesha
> simultaneously for different versions of Ceph, I'm leaning towards
> using a custom "dist tag" like thing in the Release field so we don't
> collide with what Kaleb's doing at
> http://cbs.centos.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=98
>
> Eventually it would be nice to have a unified nfs-ganesha build shared
> between Ceph and Gluster. If we built it in storage7-common-candidate,
> we would have to tag gluster and ceph into that, which sounds kinda
> messy, because you only get to choose one version of each. It'd be
> more manageable to have a separate set of tags and targets just for
> nfs-ganesha versions. Like:
>
> storage7-nfs-ganesha-26-el7
> storage7-nfs-ganesha-27-el7
> ... etc
>
> But that still leaves the problem of shipping a nfs-ganesha-gluster
> sub-package that will not have its runtime deps fulfilled in
> http://mirror.centos.org/centos/7/storage/x86_64/ceph-nautilus/ . Vice
> versa, we'd have a nfs-ganesha-ceph sub-package that lacks runtime
> deps in http://mirror.centos.org/centos/7/storage/x86_64/gluster-5/

I too would like to get to a place where we have a single ganesha package.

Gluster's GFAPI guarantees its ABI by using versioned symbols. A Gluster
FSAL built against glusterfs-4.1 (or earlier) will work with
glusterfs-5's libgfapi.so. And glusterfs-6's. And so on.

So we don't build separate ganesha-2.7 packages for both glusterfs-4.1
and glusterfs-5. We build a single ganesha-2.7 package with
glusterfs-4.1 and it is tagged into both the glusterfs-4.1 and
glusterfs-5 releases.

I think it should be achievable. I try and build ganesha with as many
FSALs enabled as possible. It's been a while though since I looked at
which version of Ceph was in CBS for the Storage SIG.

If Ceph doesn't guarantee its ABIs though that's going to make things
harder.

--

Kaleb