[CentOS-devel] Building Origin for s390x

Neale Ferguson

neale at sinenomine.net
Fri Dec 7 15:14:36 UTC 2018

We have a CentOS clone built from vault + extra Z packages + EPEL + SCLO.

What I do at the moment is a script that will:
- create the equivalent of centos:7 image and origin-release:golang-1.10
- clone several of the openshift repos: origin, image-repository, origin-web-console, origin-aggregated-logging, service-catalog, etcd, cluster-monitoring-operator, ansible-service-broker
- clone prometheus-operator from coreos (the openshift repo doesn't have v0.23.2 yet)
- for some repos I apply small patches to get it pull images from my own repo as well as add s390x recognition (total of about 317 lines of patches for all components)
- build the base images
- run make build for the components
- run makes for the releases/images
- push the images to my dockerhub repo

Using this method I've built Origin over several releases. It changes with every release as more components come into existence. (I am trying to get prometheus-operator built at the moment with which I am having a problem outlined on the origin list).

I'm a member of the OMF TSC.

Neale

On 12/7/18, 09:58, "CentOS-devel on behalf of Hrishikesh Barman" <centos-devel-bounces at centos.org on behalf of hrishikeshbman at gmail.com> wrote:

    Hello Neale,

    > I have been building Origin for use on s390x (aka Z Systems aka Mainframe) for a couple of years now. Currently, I have a script that will pull the appropriate release from github and build the various components: origin, registry, web-console, service-broker, and aggregate-logging. There are a handful of mods due to where the resulting images will be pushed and some logging package locations. I would like to replicate the build infrastructure used for the official releases rather than maintain some bash to get things going. I have access to a relatively well resourced Linux on Z virtual machine with external network capability. If this is feasible, I would like to identify what’s required.

    There's a proposal[1] for bootstrapping CentOS on Z from the openmainframeproject. I have been reading and trying building small packages in an foreign environment to work on that proposal. I have access to a Z vm from IBM LinuxONE Community Cloud but haven't tried it yet. It would be great help if you could walk through what you already did.

    Links:
    [1] https://github.com/openmainframeproject/tsc/blob/master/proposed_projects/Bootstrap%20CentOS%20on%20Z.md